Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Build Your Character

Just recently I came across an article written by a Wudang Master about his concern for traditional wushu. After finished reading then I browsed the comment section. There is comment from a practitioner who chosen to be known as jujutsu ronin whom disagreed with the master's point of view regarding the type of student he identified. Such comment which I had read makes me penned down some thought of mine here. Anyway the article I mentioned above is already availabe at my blog and you can find it in my previous posting.
There are in fact a lot of peoples who are interested to take up learning martial art. And yet not everyone is interest to go for sanshou, sparring etc. - we need to take that as the fact.
In this modern age, the survival and revival of traditional wushu is largely depends upon preservation efforts. But noted that preservation efforts alone does not really guarantee a fruitful outcome if it doesn't correspond to the interest of the society at large.
To explain this further, some peoples prefer sparring. It's the place where they got the chance to throw punches and kick hard at their opponent. And they really feel the thrill of doing so. Anyhow, what about those who are interested in martial art but are not ready to commit themselves with this section of the sport? Should we just turn them away? Just because these guys are afraid of getting whacked by someone else in the arena? Is it just because such a matter should disqualify these guy from learning martial art? For sanshou exponent , leitai exponent, sparring exponent or whatever you may like to call can be train out for ordinary guys provided them the right system of training. This is because we the human will always adapt ourselves to the new environment  we encountered through the experiences of our five senses combined with analytic cognition abilities. And then we gradually master the elements of the concern subject. There is no secret in this. Martial arts especially the traditional ones are being all encompassing by its nature. It trains to bring out the best of you through character building and not just making you a good fighter in the arena. But it also makes you a cultivator of moral, ethic and virtue through out your life. Doesn't this makes you a much better person than an exellent fighting machine? You may says that only those who are afraid to fight would says such a nonsense. But think again, even your fist could be as hard as steel and your kick is as deadly as poison, how long do you think you can live on like that. Always remember that we are all part of the Nature and are all subject to the law of Nature. That is from the day we are born into this world, we grow up, we age, then we fall sick and finally we die. Our bones, our veins and our flesh have never stop from aging from day to day. You may be proud with your fancy kicks and lightning speed punching when you're in your 20's. Do you think you can remain ever the same when you hit your 40's. Lets face the fact.
I'm more concern with what martial art can contribute to my daily life or I can say I'm more concern in channeling the spirit of martial art into my everyday life. Just like everbody else, I've have a life to live and I want to live it in a meaningful way. It's already 20 years I've been practicing traditional wushu right from day one. Each time I practice, I'll sweat and tiring my muscles and exhausting the whole body. So, what do all these meant to me. I mean what do I learn from all these? I learn to presevere, not taking things for granted - no pain, no gain. I learn not to give up simply just because I face difficulties/obstructions in whatever I do. I recognise the importance of being patient. I also learn to work with system; to do my work in an orderly manner. Just like I'm practicing wushu taolu(routine) where the handworks and legworks are coordinated to each other in an organized manner.
So, what I would have to say here is that traditional wushu, karate-do, teakwondo and many more are not about knocking your opponent out of the arena. The more important thing is that it builds your character (a phrase borrowed from "Karate Kid" the movie.)

No comments:

Post a Comment